Things you might like to know:
- I like to eat. A lot.
- I like to rattle on. A lot.
- None of the meals written about on this blog are sponsored by the establishment concerned or those with an interest in the establishments.
- 99% of the time the restaurant doesn't know me, and the fact that I blog. Deviations from this will be stated clearly in the post.
- I'm a writer and editor, specialising in food, travel, lifestyle and culture. For clips and more details about my professional work, please head this way.
- I don't proofread my blog posts. (I proof a lot for work, give me a bloody break!)
- I'm Cantonese by heritage, a Hongkonger by birth, and a naturalised Australian because my parents
like Australian wine, lamb and beeffeared what the Commies would do to us after 1997. Also, although English is my first written language, things can sound clumsy sometimes. Like now. Sort of. Maybe.
- If you found this through my very old posts (2004-ish), I apologise. I sound like an ignorant prick and a half, but I've kept those posts as a reminder that everyone has an embarrassing period of their lives and if you can't get past it, then well, you might as well have a stick stuck up your backside for the rest of your life.
- Around April 2013, I changed my byline (for published work) to "Janice Leung Hayes".
You look/sound familiar. Have we met before?
Maybe on my old blog, or even older blog? Read more about this blog here.
Oh, and my profile pic is of rolled pork roasts from a fantastic kopitiam called Yut Kee in Kuala Lumpur (everyone seems to think they're loaves of bread or chocolate croissants - which, as it happens, I also love).
Where are you?
Allow me to address this as a two-part question.
i. Physically and usually:
for about 13 years now... on and off.
ii. Virtually and almost eternally:
Why is your blog called 'e_ting the world' when you're mostly in Hong Kong? Whatta liar.
Yeah I know. The 'world' thing is more of an ambition. I mean, I love to travel but because of work (that's the excuse they all make, isn't it?) I'm mostly in HK. But when I do travel, the days are planned out according to food stops - I don't know any other way to travel.
I grew up in Australia, but no, I have never been to Uluru (Ayer's Rock) or the Great Barrier Reef. But I can tell you I had a helluva time cartwheeling around the Yarra Valley when I was 6 (note: scarves get stuck in vines easily, don't try it) and oh, you know what? I rode the Puffing Billy (but only because my mom heard that they do great scones around there - I only really remember the double cream... maybe I just had spoonfuls of it sans scone. Who knows - and I know you don't really care by now because again, I've been rambling...).
What's your favourite food?
I can't really tell you. No, it's not some secret. I can't tell you because I don't know. When I was 16 I had uni (sea urchin) for the first time. I hated it and thought it tasted like soap. Ten years on, I'm addicted. Maybe twenty years on I'll hate it again.
How can I contact you?
Leave me a comment on the blog, tweet/FB me, or email: janice -at-
I would like to get in touch about promoting my restaurant/hotel/product...
Please read this before getting in touch, thank you!
What does your alias mean?
My name's Janice, but my childhood nickname was Ting Ting, which comes from my Chinese name. And I like to eat, hence e_ting.
Cool things I've been a part of: (I hardly update this anymore, for more please see my fancypants professional bio and this Facebook album)
|Panelist, Social Media Week Hong Kong 2012, Blogging 101|
|Time Out Dining Awards 2010 Panel of Judges|
|The Eater Hong Kong Heatmap|
|Hong Kong Spotlight Guest Blog|